- You are here:
- GT Home
This October 7-11 marks the third annual Georgia Tech Bike Week, created to encourage more people to ride their bikes to and around Georgia Tech, through prizes, incentives, fun events, and competition.
The centerpiece of Bike Week is a week-long Commuter Challenge. All students, staff, and faculty can use a simple form (which will be made available on the bike.gatech.edu front page during the week) to log their miles and department each day; by doing so, you will be entered in random drawings, and eligible to win prizes for mileage and days ridden! Plus, departments will be competing with each other for the opportunity to have a bike rack dedicated to their victory at their building, plus year-long bragging rights!
In addition to the commuter competition, there are events each day, including:
- Information tables Monday afternoon from 1-4pm along Tech Walkway
- Helmet Decorating on Tuesday afternoon from 4-5pm in the Student Center
- Ride with President Bud Peterson Wednesday afternoon (4:45pm) with members of the administration, including staff of Capital Planning, Parking and Transportation, Facilities, and the President himself! (This ride is very casual, and will feature a demo from viaCycle Bike Share!) Departs from the Trolley turnaround adjacent to the Student Center and Tech Walkway.
- A Bike Show on Thursday afternoon where you can win sweet prizes for having the best commuter bike, the best lit bike, the best in show, and the most unusual!
- There will also be free repair stations open along Tech Walkway occasionally throughout the week!
Bike Week is a collaboration between the Bicycle Infrastructure Improvement Committee (BIIC), StarterBikes, Students Organizing for Sustainability (SOS), Students for Progressive Transit (SfPT), GT Cycling Club, and many others. Make sure to check bike.gatech.edu during the week for updated information including prize details, photos, and more!