- You are here:
- GT Home
Doctoral candidates tailor a highly individualized Program of Study (typically 50 credit hours of courses beyond the bachelor's degree) to develop expertise in one of the following major specialization areas:
- Construction and Infrastructure Systems Engineering
- Environmental Engineering
- Environmental Fluid Mechanics and Water Resources
- Geosystems Engineering
- Structural Engineering, Mechanics and Materials
- Transportation Systems Engineering
As part of the Program of Study, candidates must complete a Minor Field of Study. To demonstrate the ability for independent research, the candidate must pass a qualifying examination, a thesis proposal, and a thesis defense.
Candidates are required to complete a doctoral thesis reporting the results of original and independent research that derives from the scientific method and demonstrates creativity and technical expertise in the principles and methods essential to modern Civil & Environmental Engineering.