Undergraduate Applied Physics Degree Overview
In addition to its technology-focused curriculum and state-of-the-art laboratories, Georgia Tech’s B.S. in Applied Physics degree program offers several key advantages:
- Undergraduate research with a world-class faculty and projects with a technological focus.
- Flexible elective course requirements that allow for a degree to be tailored toward individual career goals.
- The Atlanta location: Atlanta, Georgia is one of the most tech-savvy cities in the U.S. and is also home to some of the world’s largest companies.
As an Applied Physics major, you will develop knowledge of the physical sciences and mathematics, and be afforded a hands-on approach to electronics, computation, and instrumentation. The Applied Physics major differs from the Physics major — with core course requirements in computational physics and electronics (and their associated laboratories), as well as the possibility of an engineering-based capstone project.
Applied Physics Degree Concentrations and Options
Add a specialization in one of these areas to your degree.
- Physics of Living Systems
Increase your competitiveness in the job market after graduation.
- Build a business perspective into your degree without adding the hours
required for a minor. Learn about the Business Option.
B.S. Applied Physics Degree Requirements
The B.S. in Applied Physics degree program contains the following: general core classes; technical courses that provide a strong mathematical background; technical electives to explore areas in greater depth; courses involving undergraduate research; and free electives. View a typical eight-semester course schedule.
- Electronics I and II
Electronics I is a course in both theoretical and applied electronics that is based on a thorough grounding in circuit as well as device physics. Electronics II focuses on electronic instrumentation with an emphasis on signal processing, both analog and digital, and computer interfacing.
- Computational Physics
Computer solutions of realistic physics problems such as projectiles in resistive media, electromagnetic sources and fields, atomic scattering, and band pass filters.
View all of the B.S. in Applied Physics requirements and course descriptions
Rankings and Awards
Georgia Tech’s School of Physics faculty members are frequently recognized for their outstanding contributions in their fields. These awards include:
- Reuters Most Cited Researcher Awards
- NSF Career Awards
What Can You Do with an Applied Physics Degree?
Physicists find careers in Physics research, industry, medicine, education, and public policy. In fact, a majority of graduates ultimately enter
careers not traditionally associated with Physics.
Explore more Physics career opportunities
What Are Georgia Tech Graduates Doing Now?
- Nearly 75% of Georgia Tech undergraduate Physics majors continue their majors at graduate schools such as Harvard, Caltech, Georgia Tech, University of California at Berkeley, University of Colorado at Boulder, and Northeastern University.
- Some 40% of those graduate students continue to study Physics, while the other 60% go into fields such as engineering, medicine, law, actuarial science, and education.
Georgia Tech Physics graduates who enter the workforce after graduation work for companies such as Applied Physical Sciences, Georgia Power, Kairos Aerospace, Delta Air Lines, General Motors, United States Army, and Micromeritics Instrument Corporation.
Physics Research Opportunities
Explore opportunities to conduct research in Physics while getting your degree.
- There are many opportunities for undergraduate students to get involved in research projects. Faculty members welcome and expect student enquiries to identify and organize research activities.
- Summer is an ideal time to learn the actual practice of Physics. View a list of options: Summer Research Internships.
Beyond the Classroom
- Join the Society of Physics Students social and academic club — open to anyone interested in physics, math, or science.
- Access leadership, career, and mentorship opportunities. Join the Georgia Institute of Technology’s Society of Women in Physics.
- Gain employment experience and benefit from nurturing real-world skills in your field. Learn more about the Co-op Program and internships.
- Find out more about the several study abroad opportunities led by College of Sciences faculty.
Stories about Physics at Tech
Physics Student is a Driving Force in STEM Fields
Podcast: There's a Moth in My Video Game!
Meet Alumnus and Chair of Physics at Morehouse College
A Surprising Discovery in The Field of 2D Materials
(text and background only visible when logged in)