Undergraduate Math Degree Overview
A degree in Math at Georgia Tech includes technology-focused curriculum and state-of-the-art laboratories. The Bachelor's in Mathematics program offers these key advantages as well:
- Flexible degree options. Customize your degree to fit your specific interests and career goals.
- Undergraduate research. From research courses to international research trips, internships, and co-op positions, the possibilities are endless.
- Atlanta location. Atlanta, Georgia is one of the most tech-savvy cities in the U.S. and home to some of the world’s biggest companies.
As a Mathematics major, you will develop a basic competence and knowledge of mathematical techniques. You will develop a strong understanding of quantitative thinking and know how to apply a systems approach to solve real-life situations.
Mathematics Degree Concentrations and Options
Customize your curriculum plan to match your specific interests and career plans.
Increase your competitiveness for jobs and graduate school by adding a designation to your degree.
- Build a business perspective into your degree without adding the hours required for a minor. Learn about the Business Option.
- Pursue an in-depth, long-term research experience that culminates in a final paper or thesis. Learn more about the Research Option.
Mathematics Major Requirements
The Mathematics degree curriculum requirements include general core classes; technical courses that provide a strong background in mathematics; technical electives to explore areas in greater depth; courses involving undergraduate research, and free electives. Download a typical eight-semester schedule (pdf)
Mathematics Undergraduate Courses
- Solid set of basic and advance core courses that all students take.
- Individualized set of courses according to the student interest.
- Research and internship opportunities.
Rankings and Awards
Georgia Tech’s School of Mathematics faculty members are frequently recognized for their outstanding contributions to their fields, including:
12 American Mathematical Society Fellows
Recognition of those who have made outstanding contributions to the creation, exposition, advancement, communication, and utilization of mathematics.
- 12 Sloan Research Fellowships
Awarded for distinguished performance and a unique potential to make substantial contributions to their field.
- 19 National Science Foundation CAREER Award winners
The NSF’s most prestigious award for early-career teacher-scholars who most effectively integrate research and education within the context of the mission of their organization.
Mathematics Degree Careers
Mathematics jobs and career paths span a range of occupational fields that value problem-solving and analytical skills, such as:
- Actuarial science
- Industrial research
What Are Georgia Tech Graduates Doing Now?
- Software Engineers
- Data Scientists
- Professors at prestigious universities
- Ph.D. students, Postdoctoral fellows and instructors at highly-ranked U.S. universities
- Retired Chairman/Chief Executive Officer